The Department of Justice will launch an investigation into if and how local police failed to stop or slow the massacre at Robb Elementary School last week.
“At the request of Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, the U.S. Department of Justice will conduct a Critical Incident Review of the law enforcement response to the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas,” officials said Sunday.
- Teen Gunman, Teacher among 16 Dead in Texas School Shooting
- Texas School Shooting: Death Toll Rises to 19 Children, 3 Adults
- FBI: 'Active Shooter' Incidents Up by over 50% in 2021
- School Shootings Continue to Increase; Texas Massacre Worst in Years
- Deputy's Daughter among Victims in Texas School Shooting
- Texas School Shooting: Police Face Questions over Speed of Response
- Texas School Shooting: Off-Duty Agent Borrowed Gun, Aided Evacuation
Nineteen fourth-grade students and two teachers were fatally shot Tuesday inside their classroom as police waited outside.
“The goal of the review is to provide an independent account of law enforcement actions and responses that day, and to identify lessons learned and best practices to help first responders prepare for and respond to active shooter events,” the DOJ said.
The report will be released at the end.
After days of changing stories, Steven McCraw, the Texas Department of Public Safety director, said Friday that the commander on the scene thought “there were no more children at risk,” meaning they had time to wait around for a key to get into the classroom where 18-year-old Salvador Ramos had barricaded himself and his victims.
“With the benefit of hindsight… of course it was not the right decision. It was the wrong decision,” McCraw said.
At the same time the commander decided to wait, at least two children trapped inside were calling 9-1-1 and begging for help, according to officials.
©2022 New York Daily News.
Visit at nydailynews.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.