LANCASTER, Ohio -- The Lancaster Police Department has released body camera video from the arrest of an armed man over the weekend.
Officers responded to a call in the 800 block of North Columbus Street on Saturday evening after receiving calls about a very tense and dangerous incident involving a distraught male subject with a pistol.
Officials said that they are extremely thankful that the public in the area and the male subject in the video did not suffer any injuries. The male subject was taken into custody and appears totally unharmed after his arrest. He was transported to the hospital for treatment.
The Chief of Police has decided to release a portion of the body camera video in the name of transparency.
"Our organization has policies in place to review any critical incident," officials said in a statement.." We are currently working to guarantee that we have all the information surrounding this particular incident.
Some facts about the video you will see:
- This subject is armed with a .38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver as officers approach him.
- He fires one round as the officers arrive.
- The weapon was dropped into the grass/mulch within a few feet of where he kneels.
- Officers do not know what his intentions are as they approach.
- Officers do not know if someone else has been shot or injured before they arrive.
- The subject does not immediately comply with their commands to get face down on the ground.
- The officer who forces him to the ground is pushing him away from the weapon and kneels down to secure it.
- He clearly catches himself with his hands when an officer forces him to the ground.
The incident is currently being investigated.
Information provided by The Lancaster Police Department