In today’s environment law enforcement agencies are challenged to provide transparency and manage the vast amount of audio and video content that is captured each day. They require smarter and faster ways to accurately document what has occurred in the field. Many agencies have adopted technology that allows officers the ability to dictate anywhere, anytime, and receive the electronic transcript of the recording within minutes.
“I estimate only 15 percent of the audio and video content that is captured globally is actually digitized,” said Susan Sumner, President and Chief Operating Officer, VIQ Solutions. “The addition of technology such as artificial intelligence (AI) speech recognition helps to quickly and easily convert recordings to actionable content in a cost-effective manner.”
Law enforcement officers have been taking advantage of the ability to securely capture, record and manage dictations from their smartphone for some time. They enjoy the ability to dictate a report from anywhere, as incidents occur, resulting in improved accuracy of content.
VIQ Solutions’ MobileMic™ Pro Dictation allows officers to:
- Turn their smartphones into a microphone allowing officers to create secure, high-quality recordings anywhere, including on site at incidents while in the field.
- Save time on reports by dictating an incident in a matter of minutes, resulting in more time to serve the community.
- Create more detailed and accurate reports, as officers verbalize their notes immediately, without missing details.
- Dictate from anywhere, regardless of the work environment, and have better situational awareness since they are not focused on their computer screen.
The emergence of automated transcription
Audio recordings created using mobile dictation solutions benefit from the digitization of the content. Storing audio files in their native form have limited benefits without the ability to garner the discrete data from those files. Rather than confined to dusty archives, transcribed information becomes searchable, can be annotated, and added to the organization’s case and records management systems to enrich decision-making processes.
VIQ Solutions’ FirstDraft, powered by aiAssist™, can quickly convert audio files to text to provide access to interviews, testimonies, recorded calls, and dictations in a timely and cost-effective manner. FirstDraft provides a comprehensive end-to-end workflow for single and multi-speaker environments where time and accuracy count.
VIQ Solutions’ FirstDraft brings law enforcement several benefits, including:
- Efficiency: Provides a near real-time draft transcript utilized for search and retrieval of specific information pertinent to the instance or event.
- Cost Effectiveness: Creates a lower cost alternative when a professionally edited document is not required.
- Flexibility: The user has the option to submit for editing and an option to download the audio file for future use.
- Cybersecurity: The technology and services platform are implemented in the most rigid security environments with all data being secured in movement and at rest.
Audio files captured using MobileMic Pro, or a third-party solution can be directly submitted to NetScribe ™ Connect. The NetScribe Connect platform provides secure access to single- channel and multi-channel audio recordings as well as a straightforward way to retrieve automated transcripts or request edited and formatted documents.
The perfect solution suite for NAMPA PD, VIQ Solutions’ MobileMic Pro
With the industry-specific knowledge and experience to understand the dictation needs of law enforcement and police departments, VIQ provided Nampa PD with 150 licenses for MobileMic Pro dictation.
Mobile dictation solutions and automated transcription bring clear benefits to law enforcement officers, as they can remain alert and easily dictate reports or capture interviews without the distraction of writing or typing at the scene.
According to Oren McGuire, Patrol Lieutenant, Nampa Police Department, “VIQ Solutions’ MobileMic Pro dictation has been an incredible asset to improving the quality, speed and security of our incident reports, interviews and dictations created in the field.”
While Nampa Police Department has chosen to use VIQ Solutions’ experienced transcription professionals to create confidential, high quality transcripts. For agencies with a need for low cost, expedited transcripts, MobileMic Pro can also route the audio recording for automated text creation using FirstDraft. Either way law enforcement agencies gain a streamlined workflow, where efficiency and security are at the forefront.
Read the full NAMPA PD Case Study to learn how VIQ Solutions can streamline dictation and transcription needs: https://info.viqsolutions.com/viq-nampa-pd-case-study