By Tristan Smith
A utility employee who died while working underneath Salem Street in Medford early Thursday morning was electrocuted, according to a Middlesex District Attorney’s office spokesperson. Officers hospitalized responding to the incident were treated for smoke inhalation and released, the official added.
At 12:30 a.m., a 35-year-old National Grid worker was electrocuted while working on an electrical box underneath Salem Street in Medford. The National Grid employee was working alongside a police detail at the time of the incident.
First responders performed life-saving measures at the work site before transporting the man to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead, according to officials.
Three Medford Police Officers associated with the incident were also transported to Massachusetts General Hospital due to smoke inhalation, officials said. All three officers were later released from the hospital.
The name of the deceased National Grid worker has not been released. Authorities are still investigating the incident.
Officials said the death is not considered suspicious and no additional information will be released.
©2022 Advance Local Media LLC.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.