Fla. Keys Sheriff Says No Cause for Alarm After Cuba Drone Report

Monroe County’s sheriff in the Florida Keys said there is no reason for concern after reports about Cuba expanding its drone capabilities, noting he has received no official briefings or directives to change operations.

What to know

  • Reports that Cuba might be expanding its military drone capabilities raised questions about potential threats to U.S. targets, including Key West, though officials say no immediate danger is expected.
  • Monroe County's sheriff in the Florida Keys said he has not been briefed by federal or state authorities and has made no operational changes, emphasizing there is no cause for public concern.
  • Officials continue monitoring Cuba’s drone program due to its proximity to Florida, but authorities stress the situation does not currently pose an active threat.

But, U.S. officials are keeping an eye on the situation given Cuba’s proximity to Florida and because thousands of Cuban veterans of Russia’s war with Ukraine have come home to tell their leaders of the effectiveness of drones on the battlefield.

U.S. officials have learned more about Cuba’s drone program from Venezuela since removing Nicolás Maduro from power earlier this year, Axios reported. Venezuela was a close ally to the Castro regime, but has since normalized relations with the U.S. following the Jan. 3 operation to arrest Maduro, in which 32 Cuban bodyguards were killed.

Sheriff Ramsay was quick to issue a statement saying he has not been contacted by federal or state authorities regarding the reported development, and that Keys residents and tourists have no reason to be alarmed.

He added that he has not ordered any of his deputies to change their routine as a result of the reported threat.

“I am monitoring the situation, but I have not been contacted by any government agency and I don’t believe there is any reason to be concerned,” Ramsay said. “I am confident I will be notified if anything does change and I will alert the public.”

A spokesperson for the city of Key West said the city hasn’t issued a statement on the issue.

_____________

©2026 Miami Herald.

Visit miamiherald.com.

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Sign up for our eNewsletters
Get the latest news and updates

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Officer, create an account today!