Sonim Technologies brought the XP8 and XP5s ultra-rugged mobile devices to first responders on FirstNet, the country’s first and only communications platform dedicated to public safety. Together, FirstNet and Sonim are unlocking innovative, specialized tools that will help advance first responders’ communications capabilities, allowing them to focus on keeping both themselves and our communities safer.
The XP8 and XP5s demonstrate Sonim’s expanding leadership in the ultra-rugged mobility category and its unwavering commitment to the public safety market, delivering industrial- and military-grade devices built to work in extreme conditions and environments, while integrating functionality critical for first responders. Both devices come with an industry-leading comprehensive three-year warranty, and include the SCOUT Enterprise Xperience, allowing businesses to more efficiently manage and control communications. They also include Sonim’s SecureAudio Connector, allowing workers to securely attach mission-critical audio accessories that are powered by the handset.
FirstNet, built with AT&T, is the first communications platform to announce support for both devices, which will be available to FirstNet users. Once available, first responder subscribers can use the XP8 or XP5s to unleash the full power of FirstNet, accessing critical capabilities like First Priority™. This includes both priority and preemption, giving first responders a reliable, highly secure and always-on connection to the information they need. Plus, both the XP8 and XP5s are integrated with the AT&T Enhanced Push-to-Talk (EPTT) platform for FirstNet.
The XP8 and XP5s also come with built-in Band 14 access. Band 14 is special spectrum licensed by the First Responder Network Authority that will be used to further build out FirstNet. This gives first responders access to even more coverage and capacity on the FirstNet platform.
These ultra-rugged phones will also support customers on AT&T’s network working in industries where reliability and durability are crucial – like construction, manufacturing and transportation.
The XP8 is an ultra-rugged Android smartphone that’s designed to empower public safety workers to focus on what they do best—protect and serve our communities.
It delivers exceptional toughness by meeting Ingress Protection (IP)-68/69 and Military Standard 810G certifications for hazards, making it waterproof, shockproof, scratchproof and dustproof. The XP8 also integrates a puncture resistant 5” touchscreen that works with gloves or wet fingers and is visible in direct sunlight, while providing up to 35 hours of talk time or 600 hours of standby time. The new XP8 features ultra-rugged functionality, including:
- Extremely Loud & Clear Audio with a 100dB+ speaker and noise cancellation, supporting traditional voice calls, as well as AT&T Enhanced Push-To-Talk (EPTT) talk-groups.
- Sonim’s XPand Interface, which extends the capabilities of the handset through rugged attached peripherals, such as Direct Mode Modules.
- A Handset Powered Audio Interface with locking mechanisms, which securely attaches mission-critical audio accessories that are powered by the handset.
- Gloved hand/Wet finger operation for applications, such as initiating the camera or video. The XP8 also includes a large, dedicated button for EPTT.
- A dedicated SOS red alert button for ‘lone worker down’ solutions, allowing public safety workers to initiate an emergency voice call to responders when needed. The XP8 also includes intelligent accelerometer monitors to detect potentially hazardous events or situations.
The XP5s is an ultra-rugged EPTT handset designed to survive and thrive in extreme environments. Regardless of the environment, the XP5s couples clear, crisp communications with built-for-work features that are most beneficial to those workers who serve the public. The EPTT handset is also a scalable platform that is easy to use with mission-critical applications, while featuring an innovative audio connector for secure connectivity to enterprise-grade accessories – all without the need for batteries. The XP5s integrates ultra-rugged features, including:
- Ingress Protection (IP)-68, Military Standard 810G certifications for hazards and Non-Incendive Class I, II, and III Div 2 ratings, making it waterproof and dustproof and built to military specifications.
- Large, tactile and intuitive EPTT, SOS and volume buttons, controls and keys to support fumble-free communication.
- Extremely Loud & Clear Audio communication, including 100dB+ speaker and noise cancellation, support for traditional voice calls and EPTT talk-groups.
- Dual-shift battery life of up to 25 hours of talk time or 25 days of standby time.