- New lower-maintenance air / water-cooled engine, transmission and drive line.
- New easy-access multi-plate self-energizing wet clutch.
- New handlebar controls and police switch gear provide more functions as standard equipment.
- New improved fairing and windshield design for greater rider comfort.
- New optimal air management keeps engine heat from the rider.
- New state-of-the-art emergency light system with alley & take-down lights plus wig-wag headlight.
- New twin-speaker 120 dB electronic siren system.
- New electronic radio box lid release.
- New electronic cruise control operational even at parade speeds.
- New standard emergency light, siren, PTT & PTPA handlebar switches.
- Optional Hill-Start Control, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Dynamic ESA, Fog Lights, Dynamic Package, Chrome Exhaust, GPS Preparation, PA Microphone, Fire Extinguisher and more.
- Best fuel economy of any large police motor resulting in dramatically lower operating costs.
The 2015 R 1200 RT-P is a completely new police motor development from BMW. The new RT-P gains the fabulous new boxer air / water-cooled engine producing 125 bhp and 92 lb/ft of torque. The easily accessible self-energized multi-plate wet clutch has reduced lever pull with a wide “grey” area. The new clutch system can now be changed in about an hour, accessible from the front of the engine case, thereby minimizing periodic maintenance costs. The new low-maintenance engine utilizes a single spark plug per cylinder, combined engine-gearbox lubrication, keeping operational costs to a minimum. New e-gas electronic throttle control provides precise throttle management, reduced throttle twist rotation to 70 degrees with no wear or adjustment needed due to electronic throttle actuator system.
The new BMW emergency lighting system provides four times the forward intensity of the prior model, focused in the primary zone where motorists are most likely to left turn / pull-out in your path (pattern shows most intense area). Enclosed take-down lights and alley lights provide exceptional illumination plus an alternating wig-wag function to maximize visibility.
Integration is further enhanced with the new rear light module, which combines all of the lighting system components previously mounted on the rear of the police motor together in an easily-accessible controller module.
- Rear and rear-side facing emergency lights provide greater intensity than the previous double-stacked units.
- New high-mount rear-facing auxiliary brake & tail lights enhance visibility for approaching vehicles.
- New side-facing auxiliary turn signals add visibility when changing lanes while passing vehicles.
- Fully-integrated rear ID lights in blue or red keep license plate area uncluttered.
- Motion activated saddlebag lights provide visibility in bags at night / low light environments.
The 2015 R 1200 RT-P provides the most modern, integrated lighting system available on a police motor. The new auxiliary rear emergency light unit provides high-intensity visibility in all situations, plus provides additional benefit if the radio box lid is opened during the violator stop.
The auxiliary rear emergency light unit is mounted to the optimally grounded radio antenna mounting bracket (standard equipment), which is suitable for any radio frequency from 40 MHz to 800+ MHz.
Numerous accessories are available for the new RT-P from a map light, flashlight / baton holders, to M4 combat assault rifle or shotgun mount. An extensive assortment of mountings for common equipment required on motors including moving radar, radar / Lidar guns and video system integration mounts are also available.
Emergency light & siren switch has been relocated for optimal access. A touch of the switch activates lighting and siren system.
- Emergency lights now offer two program pattern switching modes.
- Siren has been programmed for quick switch response for “chirp” activation as well as wail, yelp, hyper-yelp and air horn.
- Radio speaker mute switch function now standard.
Full-color TFT dashboard provides a wealth of information to rider via the thumb-wheel control. Dashboard angle is adjustable to eliminate glare for officers of any height.
Integrated radio head and map light mounting is standard equipment on the new R 1200 RT-P, thereby facilitating quick yet secure installation of the radio control head. Combined with the standard radio antenna mounting at the rear, the RT-P is ready for any police radio installation without purchasing extra mounts.
The mounting will also facilitate the tandem mounting of a police video system display / control head while retaining easy access to the ignition switch.
The new R 1200 RT-P raises the standard for electrical power management while providing fast and efficient connection of police equipment. The BCa (Body Controller authority) controls all special authority circuit outputs and charging of the auxiliary battery. There is no need for fuses, the BCa monitors and protects outputs, controlling circuits for all police accessories:
- Gun Lock (6A)
- Radio (15A)
- Auxiliary LED Emergency Lights
- LED Flasher Connection (10A + 6A)
- Helmet Headset Interface (2A)
- Lighter Socket (6A)
- Accessory I (2A)
- Accessory II (2A)
- Accessory III (2A)
- Fairing Radio Speakers
- Radar Connection (6A)
The radio box on the R 1200 RT-P now features an electronic release, eliminating the need for a key to open the box. The Body Controller authority and auxiliary battery are located under the radio box for optimal protection and interference suppression (average police radio chassis illustrated in radio box). The BCa controls all accessory outputs and limits the time each output is powered after ignition-off. When each output is switched off, no parasitic loads are possible. The BCa also monitors battery condition and systematically shuts-down accessory outputs to ensure the auxiliary battery cannot be flattened / damaged. At an average of $1.50 a minute, installation labor for radios and accessories can be greatly reduced which significantly lowers your overall police motor preparation costs.
Saddlebag illumination is another new option for the 2015 R 1200 RT-P. Two LEDs are precisely focused to illuminate the inside of the police saddlebag. Actuation is simple … wave your hand by the light and a proximity sensor will turn-on both saddlebag lights for 15 seconds, then automatically turn them off! If you need the light for a longer period, wave your hand again and you get another 15 seconds of illumination. A cool yet extremely practical feature when loading / unloading at night, in low light conditions, parking garages, etc.
Standard Value from BMW R 1200 RT-P Motors:
- Electronic lock-release integrated radio box with wiring ports, ground plate and antenna mount.
- Police-specific top-opening saddlebags with glove-friendly latch and optional work bag liner.
- Corrosion-resistant stainless steel front and rear protection bar system.
- Linked dual 16 Ah maintenance-free batteries with 10 separately-monitored equipment circuits.
- Adjustable dashboard display of system voltage, outside temperature, tire pressure, etc.
- Four-way emergency flashers as well as two-way rear flashers, blue ID lights.
- Central stand allowing easier maintenance such as tire changes, cleaning, etc.
- Wind tunnel optimized full fairing providing superior air management / comfort.
- All lights “off” switch with dimmable dashboard information display.
- Cruise lights for dimmed front and rear emergency light steady illumination.
- Wig-wag headlight function when emergency lights are activated (three selectable frequencies or off).
- Alley light switch enables independent illumination of L or R front side LED alley lights.
- Integrated fairing-mounted speakers for radio & radar, pre-wired inside radio box w/speaker mute switch.
- BCa managed electrical power connection bus inside radio box for all common equipment connections.
- Accurate digital police speedometer with pace-lock display.
- Three-tone BMW 120 dB twin-speaker siren system with wail/yelp/hyper-yelp, air horn and public address.
- Cutting-edge BMW/Code 3 LED emergency lighting system with LIN-bus control.
- Electrically-adjustable windshield, adjustable seat height, adjustable brake, clutch & shift lever.
- Full radio interference suppression system with optimized radio antenna and control head mount.
- Gun lock release handlebar switch and pre-wired harness for lock.
- Pre-wired moving radar connection (VSS, battery+, switched power +, ground)
- Pre-wired map light connection plug and mounting on std. radio control head mount.
- Pre-wired constant and switched-power circuits for computers, printers or video systems.
- Side stand holds motorcycle on grades up to 9% without locking mechanism.
- Partial-integral ABS braking system with independent rear wheel brake control and traction control.
- The largest fuel tank (6.6 gal) with dramatically better fuel economy and range ≥300 miles.
- The longest service intervals (6,000 miles) for oil change / maintenance.
- The most comprehensive warranty covering all BMW supplied equipment, not just the motorcycle, enables your authorized BMW dealer to keep your motors on the road with less down-time.
Optional Value from BMW R 1200 RT-P Motors:
BMW provides the most comprehensive assortment of options specifically designed for BMW motors, from simple map lights to electric locking assault rifle mounts. BMW designs these options to enable agencies to professionally mount the specialized equipment that we know you need and use, enabling everything to work properly. Additionally, these specially designed mounts greatly reduce the installation time over “universal” mounts (universal means it doesn’t fit anything properly), making the final package more affordable. All options are warranted by BMW to fit and function properly! A detailed listing of available options is in this information sheet.
Many recent entrants to the police motor arena have made claims of being much less expensive, but when the bidding is over and the dust settles, those motors are usually similar in price or even more expensive than the BMW with far less standard equipment and higher operating costs! Don’t be fooled by the newcomers!
New standard features on every new R 1200 RT-P: (standard for stock units)
- Heated seat and heated handlebar grips (new 5-level adjustment for heat settings)
- BMW ABS with Traction Control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Electronic Cruise Control (controls down to 9 mph)
- Weather Protection: provide rain, wind and heat protection to rider / keeps motor clean
- Rider Information Display including system voltage, ambient temperature, etc.
New factory options available at additional cost: (special order units only)
- Dynamic ESA – monitors road dynamics and automatically adjusts suspension to current road conditions
- Gear Shift Assist Pro – enables up and down shifting without clutch once motor is moving in 1st gear
- GPS Preparation – special dashboard pre-wired for BMW Navigator V GPS
- Dynamic Package – special price package that contains Headlight Pro, Hill-Start Control and Ride Modes Pro. Headlight Pro provides corona ring lighting, Hill Start holds brake on up or down hill until clutch is engages, Ride Modes Pro provides “Dynamic” ride mode for maximum vehicle performance and response.
- Chrome Exhaust – beautify your ride
- Additional Fog Lights – provides low level lighting for fog / alternatively flashes with headlight flasher during daytime operation of emergency lights
- Public Address Microphone – Euro microphone located inside radio box for instruction while parked
- Fire Extinguisher – 1 KG dry powder fire extinguisher for emergency use
- High Seat Heated – no charge high seat option
- Low Seat Heated – no charge low seat option