TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) announced the availability of TCS VoLTE (Voice over LTE) 911, enabling carriers to reliably deliver emergency voice communication services as they transition to new 4G/LTE networks.
Network operators are embracing next generation network technologies to provide improved service for subscribers. As services evolve and the public embraces LTE, carriers must meet Federal Communications Commission mandates to ensure that 911 services reliably support public safety requirements without interruption. TCS is an active participant and lead contributor in LTE standards as they relate to 911 technology. Built upon the single largest VoIP emergency call processing platform in the nation, the TCS VoLTE
911 solution is cost-effective, highly flexible, customizable and standards-based.
The TCS VoLTE 9-1-1 Solution includes:
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) platform built for LTE and dedicated to 911 processing: The emergency call routing platform uses a robust, highly-reliable, standards-based SIP architecture that natively supports the IMS-based LTE network over which 911 calls are delivered.
- Call routing to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP): The TCS 911 Emergency Call Server (ECS) Route Determination Function routes a VoLTE 911 call using well-established FCC Phase-I data (Cell ID) and further provides new routing capabilities based on Wi-Fi MAC Address and Femtocell ID.
- Re-bid by PSAP for precise location after call routing: The TCS 911 ECS Location Retrieval Function (LRF) allows a wireless operator complete flexibility in choosing its underlying high-accuracy location technology.
The ECS-LRF supports updated/precise position requests using any of the following:
- Control Plan Location request using Mobile Location Protocol (MLP) to an E-GMLC (Evolved GMLC)
- User Plane Location request using MLP to a User Plane Location Server
- PSAP telecommunicators can call back if disconnected: The TCS solution remains fully backwards compatible supporting necessary functions such as providing PSAPs with full 10-digit subscriber callback numbers.
- Emergency voice call continuity for location service: The TCS 911 ECS supports location continuity and location delivery to the PSAPs in the usage scenarios where the 911 call switches from 4G/LTE to 3G/2G networks.
- Multiple provisioning interface tools: These tools make cell site database provisioning quick and easy and enables wireless operators to select the option that best meets their deployment needs, resulting in timely and responsive 911 data management.