Law enforcement rely on body armor for protection in high-threat situations. However, wearable armor only covers critical areas of the body and has a limited ballistic rating since the nature of ballistic protection is a compromise between safety, weight and mobility.
DawTech has developed a solution that provides addtional and enhanced protection for extended ballistic protection. That solution is the DawTech Special Operations Bunker (S.O.B.).
The S.O.B. is a modular, moveable, multi-use ballistic bunker providing flexible ballistic protection. The S.O.B.’s unique design enables users to assess the threat level and then assemble the S.O.B. into the most suitable configuration in a matter of minutes. The basic bunker is composed of three modular welded aluminum frames and twenty-seven individual N.I.J. Level IIIA modular ballistic panels. When assembled, the layered design of the panels provides N.I.J. Level III protection.
Each frame section has extruded aluminum channels to receive the ballistic panels. Each channel is designed to permit three panel layers with offset panel joints to create overlap and avoid a weakness in the ballistic system. The left and right hand frames have casters that permit mobility of the fully assembled bunker.
The entire assembly takes less than five minutes. If deployed from the S.O.B. trailer no assembly is required
- The optional N.I.J. Level IV vision panel permits safe observation and a “return-fire” port.
- The free-standing bunker relieves personnel of shield weight and does not occupy their hands.
- The frame permits one, two or three panels in each opening to protect against varying threat levels. Three panels provide the maximum protection (rated for N.I.J. Level III, Winchester .308 rounds fired from 50’-0” and Level III+, 30-06 rounds fired from 90’-0”), one panel provides minimum protection (rated for N.I.J. Level IIIA, 44 magnum and 9mm handgun rounds fired from 16’-4”).
- Damaged or compromised panels can be replaced individually.
- Panels can be upgraded as ballistic technology improves.
- Ballistic panels are divided into multiple layers reducing the overall weight to less than 42 pounds each. This permits full bunker assembly by one person.
- The bunker can use optional skis or wider wheels for deployment over snow, grass, soft soil, etc.
- The frontal frame has an integral horizontal mounting bar for lighting, loud speakers, cameras, etc.
- The bunker has an optional overhead panel that provides protection from an elevated threat.
- Four individual panels of each bunker have integral “tri-grip” handholds for use as personal N.I.J.
Level IIIA shields.:
- Each panel is equipped with a carrying strap for use as an individual N.I.J. Level IIIA shield outside of the bunker frame.
- The frame permits panels to be installed, interchanged, and removed easily.
- An optional deployment trailer permits immediate use upon arrival without the need of assembly.