Online Exclusive

Baltimore City Officer Hospitalized by Pursuit Crash

A Brooklyn Park man was in police custody Monday afternoon after police said he led officers on a high speed pursuit that ended at Arundel Mills mall and resulted in the hospitalization of one Baltimore City police officer.

Darin L. Sympton Jr., 22, of Brooklyn Park is charged with multiple counts of fleeing and eluding, resisting arrest, assault, driving on a suspended/revoked license and other traffic charges, as well as possession of both heroin and marijuana with intent to distribute.

Around 11:30 a.m., a state police trooper patrolling 295 near the city line noticed a 1998 Honda Accord traveling southbound being pursued by Baltimore City police. The trooper joined in the pursuit as the driver of the Honda, which police have now identified as Sympton, traveled further away from the city.

When the pursuit reached just south of I-195 junction, police said Sympton attempted to ram the Baltimore City police cruiser. Police said the officer took evasive action, which resulted in the car leaving the road and coming to rest in the median.

The driver of the police cruiser, identified as a 25-year-old white male, was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma with "serious but non-life-threatening injuries," said fire department spokesman Chief Michael Cox.

Baltimore City Police are not releasing the officer's name.

When asked about the circumstances of the crash, state police spokesman Greg Shipley said an investigation remains ongoing. Shipley could not confirm initial reports that the cruiser had flipped over. "We're still trying to determine that," Shipley said.

The pursuit continued south on I-295 with speeds reaching 100 miles per hour.

Sympton took the exit to Arundel Mills mall where he struck possibly as many as four civilian vehicles on his way into the parking lot, Shipley said.

Sympton fled from the vehicle near the entrance of the movie theatres and ran inside of the mall, as the state trooper continued his pursuit on foot.

Once in the mall, state police said Sympton threw multiple items at the trooper before running into a clothing store, where he was ultimately arrested. No one in the mall was injured in the pursuit, state police said.

The pursuit began in Baltimore City where officers witnessed Sympton participating in suspected drug deal.

Due to his behavior while observed, officers believed Sympton might have been carrying a gun. When an officer attempted to stop Sympton, he refused, initiating the pursuit.

As of Monday afternoon, no gun had been recovered. The Honda was not stolen, but was not registered to Sympton, state police said.



Copyright 2008 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy