Online Exclusive

Robbery Suspect Dies in Back of Wis. Squad Car


A Milwaukee man released from jail Tuesday night died while in police custody early Wednesday morning.

Police said they spotted a man in a ski mask committing what they thought was a robbery near Holton Street and Center Avenue just after 12:30 a.m. Wednesday. He took off, and they chased him, police said.

Police apprehended the man in the 2700 block of North Buffum Street, and police said no force was used to take him into custody.

The 22-year-old suspect was placed in the back of a squad car and was to be transported to jail.

Police said the suspect laid down on the back seat of the squad car, and an officer in front of the car went to check on him.

Police said the officer checked for a pulse, and then the officer took the suspect out of the car and began performing lifesaving measures.

The Milwaukee Fire Department was called to the scene to assist with lifesaving efforts. However, the suspect was pronounced dead the scene 28 minutes later.

Police said an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

"I think once I get the autopsy, I will know better, but if any negligence have went on, i'm gonna get justice they better believe that, so they better hope they didn't hit him," the man's mother, Sonya Moore, said.

Moore said her 22-year-old son, Derek Williams, was in good health, and questions the police version of her son's sudden death.

"I have witnesses saying that they were talking real mean to him as they were hitting him, and if they wasn't hitting him, where were the mean comments coming from? And the slump over and all, I need answers and I'm gonna get him," Moore said.

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn denied there was any police brutality.

The District Attorney's office is also reviewing the death, and the officers involved have been placed on administrative duty.

Copyright 2011 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.