Online Exclusive

Two Houston Police Officers Shot, Suspect Kills Self


A man who fired at police officers at three different scenes shot and killed himself Saturday, according to Houston police.

The shooting started Saturday at 5:30 p.m. when police said a security guard at the downtown Greyhound station at 2121 Main Street noticed the butt of a gun sticking out of a man's bag during a security screen.

Police said the guard alerted an officer who confronted 20-year-old Jesse Brown outside of the station. They said the officer and Brown got into a scuffle and the officer deployed his Taser, but it had no effect.

"(Meza) said it stunned Brown momentarily but after that, one of the darts fell out. That's how he explained it to me," Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland said.

Officers said Brown pulled a handgun from his bag and exchanged fire with Officer Fernando Meza, 24, a two-year veteran with HPD. Meza was hit in the hand.

Witnesses said Brown was shot in the upper body during that exchange.

"I tried to talk to him and I told him, 'Hey are you alright? Where are you going?' and he just shook his head and proceeded on toward McDonald's to get away," said Ben Washington, who had been waiting on a bus.

According to police, Brown walked around the corner and was confronted by a second officer, Timothy Moore, 30, a 12-year veteran of the force. The two got into a shootout and Moore was shot in the leg, officials said.

Soon after, there were some scary moments for the customers in the McDonald's next to the bus station.

"The guy with the gun tried to come in and that manager is a hero because he told him, 'Sir you can't come in here.' And the guy stopped and turned around and left," said witness Perry Leone.

After that, police said Brown opened fire a third time, this time on SWAT officers, before he entered the Amegy Bank parking garage.

Police said they used an armored car to search for him level by level. They said they found him shortly after 7 p.m.

"He has a gun on his person and he's got an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head," said HPD spokesman John Cannon.

Mayor Annise Parker met with the wounded officers shortly after they were brought to Memorial Hermann Hospital. She said both are in good spirits.

"Fortunately today, the two officers are in really good shape. One only slightly injured, a small crease to his hand. The other a minor injury to leg. They're both going to be fine. Very happy with the outcome," Parker said.

The officers were treated and released Saturday night.

"You never expect anything like this to happen," said Washington. "Then again it goes to show that maybe they might need to beef up security and have metal detector checkpoints in Greyhound."

Police said Brown has an address in San Fransisco and may have been involved in a triple shooting investigation there on Halloween night in 2010. They said they believe he also may have been passing through Houston from San Francisco to get to Marietta, Georgia.

Police said they believe Brown may have had marijuana in his possession.

No one else was injured as a result of the shootings.

Copyright 2011 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.