Arkansas Police Officer Injured in Pursuit


Fort Smith police said a Saturday night pursuit started in Oklahoma and ended when the vehicle crashed into a home.

Pocola police contacted Fort Smith about the chase which began on Texas Road near Cavanaugh Road.

Authorities said when the suspect's vehicle was traveling nearly 90 mph down Rogers Avenue, they called off the pursuit.

Officers said a patrol unit, driven by Officer Anthony Parkinson followed the vehicle. Officer Derek Harwood joined, following in an additional patrol unit.

Police said it wasn't until the suspect was identified as matching the description of a suspect in a Christmas Eve homicide case, that the pursuit became active again. Police later learned the suspect involved in this pursuit was not at all connected to the homicide.

At that time, Parkinson and Officer Brandon Djordjevic said that the suspect rammed both of their patrol vehicles in the area of Fianna Way and Whippoorwill Lane.

Sebastian county deputies joined in when the pursuit headed towards Hackett. Police said the chase ended when the suspect crashed into a house on South Main Street.

Police said the suspect, Anthony Yoder, 29, attempted to flee on foot but was arrested by a Fort Smith officer at the scene. Officers said he did not have a reason why he fled from police.

A family of four lived in the Hackett home. The homeowner said she saw headlights in her window and heard sirens and ran from the living room just in time to move out of the car's path. No one inside the home was injured, but the home sustained serious damage.

Yoder was treated by Central EMS and taken to St. Edwards Hospital for treatment. He was then and booked into the Sebastian County Adult Detention Center.

Police said Yoder was charged with four counts of aggravated assault; fleeing apprehension with injury; fleeing by means of a vehicle; reckless driving; leaving the scene of a personal injury accident; no liability insurance accident; resisting arrest; and parole violation.

Parkinson complained of a back injury after his patrol unit was stuck by Yoder's vehicle, and OOfficer Billy Rowe had injuries to his left knee from pursuing Yoder on foot, according to a police report. Both declined to be treated at the hospital.

Damage to the two patrol cars is estimated to total $5,500.

Copyright 2011 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.