Man In Custody After Hospital Shooting

OMAHA, Neb. --

Police said they are investigating a shooting at Creighton University Medical Center.

The call came in shortly after 3:30 p.m. after a shooting in the front lobby.

Several officers and deputies were already at the hospital following an earlier shooting in which a Douglas County deputy was shot.

Police said because officers were nearby, they were able to quickly respond.

Officers said they found 30-year-old Otis Holford with an apparent gunshot wound. Authorities said his injuries were not considered life-threatening and he is in stable condition.

Investigators said the shooter entered the front lobby of the hospital, fired shots and ran.

Officer Michael Pecha said officers apprehended a possible shooter just south of the hospital, and no one else being sought in this incident.

The front parking lot and entrance of Creighton University Medical Center was blocked off during the incident.

A KETV employee who was inside the hospital at the time said the hospital was placed under lockdown; but it was later lifted when the situation was resolved.

Police said Holford had been shot before, outside a night club in October.

Detectives said they believe the shooter tossed the gun after the shooting.

"This incident was contained, isolated and resolved immediately," CUMC President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Honts said.

Officials do not believe the hospital shooting is related to a shooting that took place earlier Wednesday near Third and Cedar streets.

The brother of a deputy who was injured in the earlier shooting was part of the team that responded to the hospital shooting.

Deputy Tom Flynn was injured while serving a warrant earlier in the day.

Officials said his brother, Deputy Dan Flynn, was at his brother's side when the hospital shooting was reported and took part in Holford's apprehension.

Copyright 2011 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.