Iowa Sheriff's Deputy Killed by Rural Resident

SIGOURNEY, Iowa -- Keokuk County Sheriff's Deputy Eric Stein was killed Monday after he and two other deputies approached a rural Keokuk County home.

Stein, 38, lived in What Cheer. The man whom authorities say fired the fatal shots, Jeffrey Alan Krier, 53, is also dead, shot by authorities as they entered his house at 2:50 p.m.

Officials said Monday afternoon three law enforcement officers approached Krier's home in Hayesville, southwest of Sigourney, and came under fire. Stein was hit. Sheriff Jeff Shipley and Deputy Casey Hinnah retreated and called for backup.

Multiple agencies responded to the call of an officer down, including tactical units from several jurisdictions. The standoff lasted until mid-afternoon.

Iowa State Patrol Trooper Jason Marlow delivered the afternoon press conference that announced the deaths.

"Shortly before 3 p.m., the situation was resolved and the subject is deceased," Marlow said.

No one was injured aside from Stein and Krier. Mahaska County Sheriff Paul Degeest said during the press conference that Stein had been with the Keokuk County Sheriff's Department "eight to nine years," though he did not give Stein's name.

Krier had a long history with Iowa law enforcement, including prior charges of stalking, carrying weapons, controlled substance violations and assault.

Stein began his career with the sheriff's office in July 2000.

"This is a very difficult day for the Keokuk County Sheriff's Office. Our team has lost one of its valued members and friends. But our loss cannot be compared to that of his family. We ask everyone keep Deputy Stein's family in their thoughts and prayers as they go through this difficult time," said Shipley in a press release.

Autopsies are scheduled for both Stein and Krier.

Tom Bowers of Sigourney posted on his Facebook page during the standoff that everyone at his home was staying away from windows. The caution, despite the fact the standoff was several miles away, demonstrated the confusion that dominated until officials held their press conference.

"All I'm hearing is news from my sister," Bowers said when contacted by the Courier. "Basically, it was just a bunch of confusion."

Several Sigourney locations went on lockdown during the event, including the Sigourney Community School District.

McClatchy-Tribune News Service