Police Officer - Basic, Dallas TX
$19.24 an hour
Open Until Filled
The Police Officer will work under the direct supervision of the patrol sergeant and the senior officer in charge, responding to calls for police service within SMU’s jurisdiction and is responsible for protecting life and property, as well as enforcing all City, State and Federal laws and University policies. Candidate must be able to work any one of three shifts assigned. The ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays is required.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- patrol campus and surrounding properties by vehicle, foot, segways or bicycle;
- prevent or deter criminal activity;
- making arrest, issuing citations (parking, moving, UP citations or justice of the peace citations); investigating crimes, vehicle accidents and complaints;
- directing traffic and crowd control during special events including collegiate sporting events;
- assist the community as needed (directions, escorts, lock or unlock campus facilities) settling disputes.
High school diploma or GED, sixty (60) semester college hours from an accredited college or university, or any special training and experience in civilian or military police is required.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizenship.
- TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Certification or have taken and passed the TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Exam.
- A current Texas Vehicle Operator's License
- No convictions of an offense above a Class B Misdemeanor or a conviction of a Class B Misdemeanor within the last 10 years.
- No convictions of any family violence offense.
- If applicable must have a “Honorable Discharge" from military service.
The selection process consists of nine (9) separate phases. Each phase is administered in order and must be successfully completed before advancing to the next phase. The final decision as to whether an applicant will be employed will be made by the Chief of Police and will be based on the information obtained in the application process.
Phase 1: Application for Employment
Phase 2: Physical Fitness Test* (One Minute Sit-Ups - Minimum Required Score: 27, One Minute Push-ups – Minimum Required Score: 18 and 1.5 Mile Run- Minimum Required Score 15:20)
Phase 3: Personal History Statement & Pre-Employment Questionnaire
Phase 4: Background Investigation
Phase 5: Oral Interview Board
Phase 6: Skills Assessments (Reading, Writing and Basic Math)
Phase 7: Physical
Phase 8: Psychological Examination
Phase 9: Drug Screen
The position is open until filled.
To Apply: Please visit our website http://smu.edu/hr/recruit/ to access the online application. Click on Career Opportunities and apply to Job ID# 900275.
Southern Methodist University will not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. SMU's commitment to equal opportunity includes non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.