- It only holds 5-10 rounds of ammo depending on caliber.
- You have to lever-action every spent shell out and every new cartridge in
- Recoil is usually greater than semi-auto rifles because there is no recoil absorption system
- It doesn't look "militaristic" or "aggressive" at all
- The general public has a favorable attitude about these weapons thanks to Hollywood
- Some of the available calibers pack a LOT more punch than the .223
- They take a lot of abuse and keep functioning
- They aren't fickle about cleanliness
- They cost less (in general) than an AR style rifle or a true M4/M16 (unless you get one surplus).