Seven years later, analysts at Written Inc. had the opportunity to review the Express Mail package Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho sent to NBC News. Even with this small writing sample, Written Inc. was able to develop a full profile on Cho. Coincidentally, Cho and the European student shared nine trait statements in their Candidate Insight Reports. Those traits are:
- Sarcastic and temperamental.
- A braggart; self-centered and obstinate.
- Critical and opinionated.
- Thinks everyone is out to get them.
- Physically aggressive, confrontational.
- Intense angry feelings, unlikely to take responsibility for the hostility they feel.
- Angry, defensive, blames others and rarely thinks it's their fault.
- May be brutal and sadistic.
- Emotionally erratic; you never know what to expect.
"After seeing the similarities between these two men, I'm confident that Candidate Insight helped to avoid a very bad situation," says Vener, referencing the 2000 European incident.