2010 Innovation Awards
Paramount winners and finalists showcase
Category winner & judge’s comment
WINNER: PRYME’s GPS-4100P
The judges say that “knowing where your people are, especially when your people can’t tell you” is a safety bottom line for all law enforcement supervisors. The judges asked themselves what would innovative product they want to be using tomorrow, and the unanimous answer was the GPS-4100P speaker microphone. This is not a product you see every day as a law enforcement buyer.
FINALIST: Cross Match Technologies SEEK II
The judges noted that the immediate identification ability of this product saves law enforcement time and paperwork in a less obvious way. “Anything you can do to bring that [identification] capability to the field is so valuable,” one judge says. When you know there’s more to the subject’s story, you save time from paperwork bringing subjects to the agency to fingerprint and fact check an identity.
FINALIST: Firetide IVS-100 MIMO
The portability and wireless features of this product allows police to place it where police can’t be as well as permit monitoring from a secured location, which is a surveillance concern for supervisors. Wireless feed is an advantage making this a runner up for best in show and overall, judges called this product “cool.”
Location-reporting mic garners top recognition as a 2010 ‘Paramount’ product
Biometric ID device and surveillance solution celebrated as runners up
Turning innovation on itself, the annual Innovation Awards program hosted by the Cygnus Law Enforcement Group added a bonus award to celebrate additional factors including originality and uniqueness.
For the new award, the cross-section of law enforcement judges were looking for products that enhanced law enforcement not by category alone, but as a whole.
The winning product, PRYME’s GPS-4100P, integrates a life-saving capability into a practical law enforcement communication device, making cost-prohibitive GPS affordable for more agencies and adding to officer safety.
The 2010 Paramount Award runners-up included the Cross Match Technologies SEEK II, a handheld biometric ID device capturing fingerprints, iris scan and face capture technology; and the Firetide IVS-100 MIMO, which provides departments with an all-in-one, low-cost wireless video surveillance solution.
Each year the Cygnus Law Enforcement Group, comprised of Officer.com, Law Enforcement Technology, Law Enforcement Product News and Enforcement Expo, takes the time to reflect on the products that improve the industry and reinforce law enforcers’ work through its Innovation Awards competition.
The 2010 Cygnus Law Enforcement Group’s Paramount Award winner:
- Pryme Radio Products’ GPS-4100P GPS Speaker Microphone
- The GPS-4100P Series GPSMIC operates as a remote speaker microphone, but also contains a GPS receiver and FSK modem. The GPSMIC can send data reports over any uncompressed voice radio channel, allowing the dispatch operator to monitor the current location of users in the field. It keeps track of assets down to the individual. It’s capable of reporting locations based on several different criteria and reporting modes can be combined to customize the system. Different GPSMIC units can use different reporting options. The GPS-4100P has been upgraded with an integrated USB port, programmable auxiliary button, and an internal GPS antenna. Mapping software for programming GPSMIC options is also included, as well as an alarm button that alerts dispatch of the GPSMIC’s location during an emergency and water-resistant construction for long-life under heavy use. GPSMICs don't require additional channels or licensing. There’s no monthly fee for real-time GPS tracking.
The Paramount Award finalists:
- Cross Match Technologies Inc.’s SEEK II
- SEEK (Secure Electronic Enrollment Kit) II combines forensic-quality fingerprint capture, rapid dual iris scan capability and innovative facial capture technology. The compact, portable solution is designed for rugged field use, making it quick and easy for border control and law enforcement agencies to identify suspects and verify their arrest record in the field. SEEK autocaptures and formats flat and rolled fingerprints, iris and facial images. Suspects can be background checked immediately upon apprehension rather than waiting for time-consuming transport.
- Firetide Inc.’s Firetide IVS-100 MIMO
- The Firetide IVS-100 MIMO is a wireless video surveillance solution for public safety and security applications that reduces costs and complexities of large-scale surveillance deployments. The IVS-100 MIMO delivers wireless connectivity, real-time video and edge-of-network storage in a single form factor. The IVS-100 MIMO delivers wireless connectivity, real-time video and edge-of-network storage in a single form factor. The solution incorporates: high performance Firetide 802.11n MIMO wireless mesh technology delivering up to 300 Mbps outdoors for real-time, evidence-grade video; a high-end pan-tilt-zoom analog or IP camera; an encoder with integrated 40 GB storage capacity (with analog camera only) plus optional storage. The edge-of-network storage capability in Firetide IVS-100 MIMO, combined with an option for on-demand transmission, enables support for more cameras with the same infrastructure.
The ceremony and reveal took place during the 117th International Association of Chiefs of Police conference at Universal Studios CityWalk’s Rising Star club on Oct. 24.
For more information on the 2010 Innovation Awards program and this year’s finalists and winners, check out “The 2010 Innovation Awards: Industry Excellence Receives Awards in Orlando, Florida” news story at Officer.com and look for the upcoming features in the December 2010 issues of Law Enforcement Product News and Law Enforcement Technology magazine.
- 0 -