Standard Investigations

First « Previous 1 2 3 Last
  • Shots Fired, But Where?

    Don’t rely on 9-1-1 or your own ears to direct you to gunfire. There's a better way.

    Article • March 3rd, 2014

  • Putting Mobile Device Evidence To Work

    If you think mobile forensics is only about getting the incriminating text messages, images or emails from the device, think again.

    Article • May 8th, 2013

  • The Shoplifters on Your Beat

    Only 5% of shoplifting crimes are related to financial need; meaning the individual legitimately needs something that they can’t afford. So what are motives behind the other 95% of the cases that tie up law enforcement’s, the court’s, and...

    Article • April 10th, 2013

  • Your Child's Identity At Risk

    Think you know about child identity theft? Think again. How thieves ruin your child’s identity without your knowledge.

    Article • February 4th, 2013

  • Thanksgiving Memories From A Retired Officer

    I had 37 Thanksgiving holidays wearing a badge. Worked some and off some but the majority as I was a detective so I was on call. Thanksgiving is usually quiet and peaceful.

    Article • November 21st, 2012

  • 9 Questions About LE Use of Cell Phone Videos

    Amateur video shot from a cell phone can be important evidence of a variety of different crimes: assault, property crimes, drug crimes and even homicide. But you may not always recover the video from a suspect or victim. If it comes from a witness, you...

    Article • November 15th, 2012

  • Use Of Force Investigations - A Book Review

    Kevin R. Davis has written a must-have manual for anyone involved in use of force investigations. As a full-time police officer with more than thirty years experience, Kevin has the credentials needed to author an instructive book on a subject that is...

    Article • November 13th, 2012

  • Consequences of Underage Alcohol Use

    It’s easy to fall into thinking that kids drinking is no big deal. Society accepts alcohol use so underage use is only a statutory offense. It is a big deal. Using alcohol during adolescence can have serious physical, mental and social consequences...

    Article • November 9th, 2012

  • The Hot Debate on Lineups

    High profile DNA exonerations of convictions based on false eyewitness evidence and new research on police lineups are fueling a debate over lineup practices. Cops don’t even agree. You can’t defend your lineups if you don’t know the issues.

    Article • June 20th, 2011

  • Bullycide: Suicide as a Result of Bullying

    While it is now well known that bullying is very damaging to its victims, it is still not generally considered to be a serious issue. Throughout time immemorial victims have been told to "toughen up," "stop whining," to "get a thicker skin" or to “fight...

    Article • January 11th, 2012

  • The science of policing

    As science has progressed, so has policing. Evidence collection, processing and analysis have grown more focused and exacting. Researchers have delved into the mysterious workings of the mind, found ground-breaking new ways to identify criminals and...

    Article • October 17th, 2011

  • More than mailmen with guns

    "The Inspection Service is one of the oldest law enforcement agencies in the country and has a reputation for quality investigations," explains U.S. Postal Inspector Lawrence Dukes Jr. "Inspectors get to work a variety of investigations, specializing in...

    Article • October 17th, 2011

  • Social Media Investigations

    It's easy to snicker at that mental image. We joke: what would a group of today's teens and twenty-somethings do if you put them together in a room without any games to play, phones to text on or movies to stream?

    Article • October 4th, 2011

  • The maturing of fusion centers

    In years past, “fusion” maybe didn’t mean much to law enforcement. It was more of a nuclear physics term, a word used to describe technology, or a maybe a name for a dance club or the music played inside. “Fusion” didn’t start working its...

    Article • September 12th, 2011

  • Juveniles: Our Future or Just More of the Same?

    He stopped coming to our house as much and I would see him wandering around town sometimes late into the night. He began to take on the look of a child making poor choices with no supervision.

    Article • September 1st, 2011

First « Previous 1 2 3 Last
  • Enhance your experience.

    Thank you for your regular readership of and visits to To continue viewing content on this site, please take a few moments to fill out the form below and register on this website.

    Registration is required to help ensure your access to featured content, and to maintain control of access to content that may be sensitive in nature to law enforcement.