PublicEngines, a provider of cloud-based solutions that facilitate crime analysis, supply actionable intelligence and increase community engagement for law enforcement, schools, and governments today announced that it has added a new feature to its popular CrimeReports public crime map that allows citizens to privately register the location of their security cameras with local law enforcement.
- Camera Registration feature allows businesses and residences to register their security cameras with local law enforcement
- It informs law enforcement of security cameras located near crimes, allowing them to respond quickly for information
- The feature is part of CrimeReports the industry’s most used public crime mapping solution
- Camera information is private and only available to the law enforcement agency
- Developed and launched with Sacramento County Sheriff for citizens in Sacramento area
Developed in conjunction with Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, the CrimeReports Camera Registration feature is designed to help law enforcement agencies by identifying the location of commercial and residential security cameras so that when incidents occur, law enforcement can quickly know where to turn for potentially valuable video footage.
“The Sheriff’s Electronic Eye program has been some time in the making, and we are excited to launch it and partner with our communities to not only deter, but also solve crime going forward,” said Scott R. Jones, Sheriff of Sacramento County. “Our relationship with PublicEngines is a great example of public-private partnership in creating innovative solutions that enable law enforcement and improve public safety.”
Camera Registration is available to citizens through CrimeReports.com. To join the program they simply set up an account and share basic information about their home and business security cameras – like location, description, and contact information. That information is private and only visible to the law enforcement agency, which can contact those individuals if a crime has occurred in the area and needs to request access to video footage.