Panasonic announced upgrades to the Toughpad FZ-G1 fully-rugged 10-inch tablet. Featuring a faster 4 generation Intel Core i5 vPro processor, the advanced Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro update, a single battery providing up to 10 hours of continuous use* and optional bridge battery, and other improvements, the new Toughpad FZ-G1 now more than ever is the gold standard for mission-critical mobile professionals – including military personnel, first responders and field service and sales teams – in need of a lightweight tablet PC providing desktop-like performance in extreme environments.
With new options for an integrated UHF radio-frequency identification (RFID) reader or contactless smart card reader, and optional certification for use in hazardous locations, the Toughpad FZ-G1 delivers significant upgrades to improve worker productivity. It retains key features of the best-selling previous model, including a fully-rugged design certified to meet IP65 and MIL-STD-810G specifications for drops (up to 4 feet), shock, vibration, altitude, humidity and extreme temperatures. For added security, an optional Opal-compliant, self-encrypting drive will be available in summer 2014.
“Mobile workers are the fastest growing segment of the workforce, and these professionals require highly portable and durable computing tools they can rely on wherever their work takes them,” said Dan Diliberti, Senior Product Management – Tablets and Handhelds, Panasonic System Communications Company of North America. “Since its introduction in 2013 the Toughpad FZ-G1 has become one of our most popular products, and these key improvements only serve to increase the return on investment it provides.”
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1: Key Improvements
- Updated Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Update 64-bit or Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro)
- Faster Processor: 4th generation Intel Core i5-4310U vPro Processor (3 MB cache, 2.0 GHz up to 3.0 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)
- Longer Battery Life: Up to 10 hours of continuous use with a single standard battery, and up to 20 hours with one optional long life battery*
- Hot Swap Capability: New bridge battery configuration option allows users to switch out batteries without powering down with the device
- Enhanced WiFi Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Expanded Configuration Options: Three new options – UHF radio-frequency identification (RFID) reader, contactless smart card reader (HF-RFID), or bridge battery – added to existing configuration options. 11 options in total available
- Camera Upgrade: 8MP rear camera and software with location-based services (Windows 8.1 Pro update model only)
- Enhanced Security: Optional Opal-compliant, self-encrypting drive available summer 2014
- Touchscreen Enhancements: Daylight-readable display with 10-point gloved multitouch technology + digitizer, operational even in wet conditions
- Hazardous Location Certification: Standard chemical resistance; optional certification available for use in hazardous locations (ANSI).
* Battery life measured at LCD brightness of 60 cd/m2 and varies depending on usage conditions, or when an external device is attached.