TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.'s (TCS) SMS 9-1-1 solution gives a voice to both the hearing-impaired community and people in noise-sensitive emergencies.
SMS has proven to be a mainstream communications method, and requests to provide 911 services through this heavily-used medium have become more frequent and strident. The TCS SMS 9-1-1 product suite provides a day-to-day reliable and cost-effective solution that meets Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) requirements, while providing the public with a mainstream communication channel to contact emergency services rapidly via text messaging. The TCS Direct IP last-mile solutions overcomes the inherent limitations of using TTY for final text session delivery, and the TCS SMS 9-1-1 solution uses currently deployed location technologies to automatically locate the emergency texter.
SMS 9-1-1 Products and Features:
- TCS Geospatial Emergency Messaging (GEM9-1-1) PSAP Client: This full-featured, lightweight, browser-based web client is a graphical user interface (GUI) used by PSAPs to manage multiple SMS to 911 sessions. The GEM9-1-1 client provides one-to-one direct conversation between the emergency texter and the PSAP call taker and further provides for the PSAP call taker to efficiently manage incoming requests or to transfer ongoing sessions to other call takers as the need arises.
- TCS Text Positioning Center (TPC): This platform provides automatic text location determination, text session management and text routing at its core. The TPC provides the PSAP flexibility in choosing a variety of last-mile options for text delivery, while relieving the need for additional services within the wireless carrier's network and at the PSAP IT office.
- Last-Mile Options for PSAPs: For PSAP integration, a last-mile option offers secure web client and IP-based Application Programming Interfaces (API) or a TTY option for PSAPs that choose this path.
- Forward Compatible with NG 9-1-1: In addition to GEM911 and TTY text delivery to the PSAP, the TCS SMS 9-1-1 solution is fully forward-compatible with PSAPs who have deployed NENA i3 NG 9-1-1 systems. This allows wireless carriers to deliver text messages to PSAPs today and as they transition to NG 9-1-1 in the future.
- Uses Existing Wireless Network Infrastructure: By utilizing the wireless carrier's existing infrastructure, the TCS SMS9-1-1 product suite minimizes the need for additional resources and streamlines deployment.
- Robust Full-Session Management: The TCS SMS 9-1-1 solution completely manages SMS communication sessions regardless of transfers between PSAPs, with feature-rich transcription that logs call taker attributes and time stamp metrics.
- No Need to Upgrade PSAP CPE/CTI Equipment: With the TCS TPC platform providing legacy TTY delivery or IP browser-based delivery, PSAPs are not required to expend financial resources on call taker station upgrades.
- Immediate Deployment: The TCS product suite is end-to-end and enables immediate SMS 9-1-1 for wireless carriers and PSAPs alike.