DETECTOR DOG PROFICIENCY TRAINER COURSE
This course is to provide a person with the necessary training to set up training problems for detector dogs. (This course can be used for both drug dogs and bomb dogs.)
- Set up training problems to insure proficiency of dog and handler are maintained at a high level.
- Critique training problems and direct corrective action.
- Develop training problems to increase proficiency of dog and handler.
- Correct minor training problems.
Student must demonstrate the ability to:
- Set up proper training problems for detector dogs and handlers.
- Evaluate training problems to determine if they meet training needs.
LENGTH OF COURSE
2 weeks; the last two weeks of a detector dog class.
Student will develop basic skills in maintenance training, record keeping and basic record analysis for detector dogs. The student will have a working understanding of how to develop evaluations of the detector dog team, be required to make deployment decisions based on observations of teams during training and as a result of record analysis.
K-9 INSTRUCTOR SUPERVISOR COURSE:
- This course is designed to teach a trained dog handler how to match a new handler(s) and detector dog(s) together as a highly proficient team(s).
- The person actively participates in instructing the class and setting up training problems for students.
- The bomb dog course is 4 weeks long and the drug dog course is 3 weeks long.
K-9 SUPERVISOR TRAINING:
Designed to teach supervisors of dog teams as to what they should know in order to ensure the dog teams are performing to standard.
PROFICIENCY TRAINER TRAINING:
- Designed to train a person on how to conduct dog team (for both dog and handler) proficiency training (designed to ensure the dog and handler can do their job).
- Person is taught how to set up problems for the team; how to detect problem areas and how to solve minor problems.