Panasonic Solutions Company announced the Toughbook H2, a fully-rugged, ergonomic Windows tablet PC. The device’s handheld design offers the right mix of mobility, performance and connectivity for field service workers, first responders, clinicians and other mission-critical professionals. This next-generation tablet includes an enhanced processor, increased RAM and hard drive capacity, I/O ports and a screen that delivers exceptional viewability in all lighting conditions through the use of Panasonic’s TransflectivePlus technology.
The Toughbook H2 is powered by an Intel Core i5-2557M vPro processor (1.7GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) for faster speeds and enhanced device management. The device also comes standard with 4GB RAM, expandable to 8GB, and a 320GB 7200rpm hard disk drive, with an optional 128GB solid state drive available.
Starting at only 3.5 pounds, the H2 delivers 6.5 hours of battery life and includes fast charging twin hot-swappable batteries that allow for virtually limitless use, maximizing up time. Panasonic has also upgraded the desktop cradle to improve charge time to three hours.
Designed for the Truly Mobile Worker
The Panasonic Toughbook H2 includes a 10.1-inch dual touch display that offers both digitizer and touchscreen functionality. The display also features Panasonic’s TransflectivePlus display technology, which can generate up to 6000 nit of transflective brightness, in addition to a circular polarizer, plus anti-glare and anti-reflective screen treatments, making it easily viewable in direct sunlight.
The Toughbook H2 offers exceptional ergonomics, including a molded hand strap, which allows workers to comfortably stand or carry the device for an entire shift. As a fully-rugged device, the Toughbook H2 is MIL-STD-810G tested – with a six foot drop rating. It is designed to be operational in extreme weather conditions and is engineered and certified for vehicle use.
Embedded Wireless Connectivity
The Toughbook H2 offers a variety of embedded wireless technologies, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and optional Gobi2000 3G mobile broadband technology from Qualcomm. The device is certified on the Sprint and Verizon Wireless 3G networks – with others to be announced later in the year – allowing workers to stay connected virtually all of the time. With certifications coming later this year, the Toughbook H2 will also offer embedded support for 4G networks.
Integrated Features to Maximize Productivity
The Toughbook H2 includes optional integrated features like barcode and RFID readers, camera and GPS receiver to enhance worker productivity and minimize the number of devices in the field. Additional accessories include carrying cases, shoulder straps, power adapters, charging cradles and a Toughbook-certified vehicle dock.
The Toughbook H2 includes multiple security features, including options for a fingerprint reader, contactless or insertable SmartCard reader for government common access cards (CACs), helping to ensure that critical data is kept secure.
Panasonic Toughbook H2: Select Features and Specifications
- Genuine Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Intel Core i5-2557M vPro processor (1.7GHz)
- 4-8GB RAM
- 320GB (7200rpm) shock-mounted HHD or optional 128GB SSD
- 10.1 inch XGA sunlight-viewable dual touch LCD
- TransflectivePlus technology (up to 6000 nit)
- Circular polarizer with anti-glare and anti-reflective screen treatments
- 6.5 hour battery life
- Twin hot-swappable batteries
- 3.5 lbs (with both batteries)
- 10.8 inches (L) by 10.6 inches (W) by 2.3 inches (H)
- MIL-STD-810G certified (6 foot drop)1
- Magnesium alloy chassis – encased in polycarbonate
- Sealed all-weather design
- Embedded Connectivity
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (Class 1)
- Optional 4G mobile broadband (Fall 2011)
- Optional Gobi2000 3G mobile broadband
- Integrated Options
- Global positioning system (GPS) receiver
- Barcode reader
- 2MP auto-focus camera with LED light
- RFID reader
- True serial
- USB (optional 2nd USB port – replaces ethernet)
- Optional Security Features
- Fingerprint reader
- Contactless SmartCard reader
- Insertable SmartCard reader – configurable for Common Access Card (CAC) use
1 Tested by a national independent third party lab following MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6 Procedure IV for transit drop test