Blueline Sensors announced a line of miniature contact microphones called the Thinline series. These pencil thin microphones attach to drywall, glass windows, floors, doors and other building partition materials with instant adhesives and can detect whisper level sounds originating from the opposite side. Used as tactical sensors, Thinline microphones provide critical incident negotiation teams (CINT) and special weapons and tactics (SWAT) teams with enhanced situational awareness and the time-criticalintelligence required to save lives, apprehend suspects and protect property.
These high-tech microphones operate by converting the imperceptible strains in a building partition created by nearby sounds directly into electrical signals. The minute signals are amplified to a level suitable for input to radios, recording equipment, or real time monitoring with headphones. Unlike conventional microphones, Thinline mics do not require an air-path to carry sound between the monitored space andthe sensor, therefore drilling a tell-tale hole or otherwise exposing the operator to the criticalincident scene is not required.
Thinline series contact microphones are available in two different sizes. The small Thinline-SP model is the standard profile version, measuring 1/4 inches high by 1/4 inches wide by only 1.65 inches long. Its compact, rugged package is designed for standard tactical installations. The tiny Thinline-LP is the low profile version, measuring a mere 1/8 inches high by 1/4 inches wide by 1.65 inches long, great for use in tight spaces.
- Miniature size contact microphones, easy to conceal or integrate into small packages
- Provides an audible indication of whether a critical incident scene is occupied
- Provides voice-level audio within seconds for critical incident intelligence or officer-safety
- Does not require air path, hole or penetration/exposure to the incident scene
- Attaches to partitions with foam tape, suction cups or quick set adhesive (varies w/ model)
- Detects minute flexural stresses in partition materials
- Converts stress into signals suitable for amplifier or direct monitoring (varies w/ model)
- Turns the building partition into a sensitive microphone diaphragm
SPECIFICATIONS (typical, specs vary by model)
- HOUSING: Engineered thermoplastic extrusion, waterproof.
- SENSING ELEMENT: Piezoelectric ceramic, 750 pF typical.
- CABLE: Internal amplifier models: miniature 3-conductor,plus shield, PVC jacketed. Non-amplified models: Miniature coaxial, 0.07 inch diameter, PVC jacketed.
- SIGNAL: Audio frequency range 100 Hz to 10 KHz,minimum, typical of most models. Non-amplified models (those without an 'A' in their model designations) require an external high-impedance, low-noise preamplifier, not included.
- CONNECTOR: 3.5mm-threaded standard. BNC, SMA, orother customer-specified types available
- ATTACHMENT: Instant super-glue adhesive, quick set epoxy, waterproof foam tape ormicro-suction cups
- CABLE LENGTH: 5 feet standard for most models or up to 1,000 feet, with cable amplifier, sold separately. Wireless link available soon.
- PREAMPLIFIER: 12, 15, or 25 dB internal preamplifier internal to all models designations not including an 'A'.Non-amplified models require an external preamplifier,100 MΩ input, 10-60 dB, not included, sold separately.