Cardinal Peak LLC partnered with Decatur Electronics to bring Decatur's Digital Responder 4000 product. The Digital Responder 4000 is a ruggedized in-car digital video system for law enforcement. The Digital Responder 4000 offers complete integrated video recording, making law enforcement officers more effective in their work. Cardinal Peak provided engineering consulting services to help Decatur bring the Digital Responder 4000 to market in a timely and cost-efficient manner. The system uses the latest web-based technologies, as well as H.264 video compression, AAC audio compression, and mp4 file formats.
Cardinal Peak's role spanned definition of high-level requirements for the product's hardware and software on through development of test plans to ensure a first-rate quality assurance (QA) process. In between, Cardinal Peak:
- Developed detailed technical specifications for the both the in-vehicle and back-office components of the system;
- Identified appropriate sub-system vendors;
- Coordinated and managed the design of the in-vehicle system chassis;
- Designed multiple boards for the system to handle compression, power, external inputs and more;
- Developed the embedded software for the in-vehicle component, based on a Linux platform; and
- Developed the Windows-based back office system management software.