Highway Patrol Trooper - Wyoming Highway Patrol, WY
Open Until Filled
The Highway Patrol Trooper I enforces the laws of the State of Wyoming through primary contact with the public and has statewide jurisdiction. Trooper activities include traffic law enforcement, motor vehicle crash investigations, citizen assists, executive or dignitary protection, safety awareness activities/promotion and public speaking, court appearances, highway drug interdiction, enforce commercial vehicle laws, administer medical aid and any other duties that may be brought to their attention.
- Complete a Field Training program of a minimum of 50 days.
- Enforce the uniform traffic code.
- Investigate traffic crashes.
- Assist motorists in need.
- Perform all other routine traffic enforcement related activities with state wide jurisdiction.
- Testify in court.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be 23 years of age or older and have a visual acuity of, or be correctable to, 20/20 or bet.ter.
- No suspension of drivers license or driving privilege within the 3 year period prior to the test.
- Successful applicants will be subject to a thorough background and reference investigation. .
High School Diploma or equivalent plus 2 years of work experience working with the public.
Note: Applicants must successfully complete a program of initial training at the State Law Enforcement Academy, and pass physical, written and oral tests, as provided before appointment.
Scheduled testing dates and locations are: July 8-11, 2011 in Cheyenne. All applicants must bring photo ID and a certified copy of birth certificate and high school diploma/GED.
WHP offers a competitive benefits package including: Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, paid vacations and sick leave, paid holidays. Tuition Refund Program, State retirement and Deferred Compensation Program, longevity pay and opportunities for advancement. Please visit our website at http://www.whp.dot.state.wy.us to view more on our requirements and physical agility testing.
For more information or to apply online go to http://statejobs.state.wy.us/JobSearchDetail.aspx?ID=16419or submit a State of Wyoming Employment Application to the Human Resource Division, Emerson Building, 2001 Capitol Avenue, Cheyenne, WY 82002-0060, Phone: (307)777-7188, Fax: (307)777-6562, along with transcripts of any relevant course work. The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.