Bill Carrow has over 31 years public safety communications experience, the last 29 with Delaware State Police, where he has been the Chief of Communications for 13 years. His duties include the overall administration of 89 employees in (3) 9-1-1 PSAP’s, (1) computer data center and (1) communications technical support unit. He also manages a one million dollar budget.
Bill remains active in key areas of Delaware’s communications projects:
- Serves as Emergency Support Function 2 (Communications) Lead
- Serves on governor’s select committee “Next Generation 800 MHz”
- Serves on Tactical Interoperable Communications Plan (TICP) committee
- Serves on State’s Interoperability Executive Committee (SIEC)
- Member of SIEC Technical & Operations committees
- Member of SIEC 700 MHz contract review committee
- Member of State’s cellular and pager contract committees
- Chaired Public Safety Wireless Network East Coast conference 2003.
- Managed DSP mobile data project from pilot to deployment
- Managed Delaware State Police Mobile Command Center procurement
Bill joined the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials International, Inc. (APCO) in 1997, has served the local chapter as President, Executive Council Representative and Recording Secretary, and chaired its local conference for 5 years. While being honored with Chapter Life Membership and as a Senior Member, Bill is very active at the international level:
Elected to APCO Board of Officers 2007, currently 1st Vice President
- Serves on Communications Unit Leader Working Group
- Works closely with Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
- Member of Project RETAINS workgroup
- Chaired APCO 73rd Annual Conference Baltimore, MD August, 2007
- Served two terms as Operations Group Leader
- Past-Chair APCO Member & Chapter Services Committee
- Previous member of Membership Task Force
Bill has received numerous awards for his work in public safety communications:
- Received APCO Presidential Award 2006.
- Received “Leadership in Technology” award from International Association of Chiefs of Police 2004
- Named Civilian Employee of the Year for Delaware State Police 2004.