- Am I hurting or aching in any way? If I am what stretches do I need to do.
- Have I been sitting for too long? If so I need to get out and walk a bit.
- Does using a therapeutic foam roller hurt? If I have a lot of hot spots I must pay attention to that area of my body for a while.
- Do my functional warm-ups elicit any unilateral differences? In sports medicine and rehab if a specific movement is easy on one side of the body and not on the other than your body is telling you that there is an imbalance. Pay attention to what it is saying!
- Have I had enough water today? Dehydration is the root of many evils in regard to human performance.
- Did I give my body the proper fuel to heal? Healing foods are an absolute necessity to stay fit and to mitigate the effects of stress; avoid foods that cause inflammation at all costs.
When we are able to take simple and very effective steps to protect and serve ourselves we are better prepared to protect and serve the community. No one wants to let their partner, squad mates or themselves down because we are unable to keep up physically. The amount of time that has been invested in education, training and skill enhancement is countless, it only seems fitting that we invest some time in ourselves.